Sony unveiled its first quad core Android smartphone, the Sony Xperia Z, at CES 2013, for which it is hoping to give tough time to competition smartphones namely Samsung’s S3 and iPhone 5.
After acquiring the Ericsson part of the company in 2011, the Japanese phone manufacturer is finally into the race with top-notch Android smartphones. Extremely sleek and solid built Sony Xperia Z will run on Android 4.1 Jellybean (planned for upgrade to 4.2) with a Snapdragon™ S4 Pro quad-core processor, promising a super-fast performance and unparalleled graphics.
Sony has put a special emphasis on the design. Company said that Xperia Z design is focused on creating balance and symmetry in all directions, with subtly rounded edges and smooth, reflective surfaces on all sides, which are held together by an innovative skeleton frame. Both the front and back are made of glass, with a reflection coating on the top, bottom and sides.
Sony Xperia Z will sport 5 inch full HD screen and 13 megapixel rear camera plus a 2.2 megapixel front facing camera.
Here are complete specs for Sony Xperia Z:
- OS: Android OS, v4.1.2 (Jelly Bean), planned upgrade to v4.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Qualcomm MDM9215M / APQ8064
- CPU: Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait
- GPU:Adreno 320
- Dimensions: 5.47 x 2.80 x 0.31 in
- Weight: 146 g
- IP57 certified – dust and water resistant
- Water proof up to 1 meter and 30 minutes
- TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
- Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
- Card slot: microSD, up to 32 GB
- Internal: 16 GB, 2 GB RAM
- Connectivity: GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth v4.0 with A2DP, NFC, USB
- Primary: 13.1 MP, 4128×3096 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
- Secondary: 2.2 MP
- Li-Ion 2330 mAh battery
- Stand-by: Up to 550 h (2G) / Up to 530 h (3G)
- Talk time: Up to 11 h (2G) / Up to 14 h (3G)
Sony has said that phone will ship during Q1 of 2013 but no pricing information was made available. It is anticipated that phone will hit stores at around USD 650 (or Rs. 65,000) without subsidies.
Sony also announced a lighter version of Xperia Z, the Sony Xperia ZL, which we will be covering in a seperate post.
Sony Xperia Z Picture Gallery: